Saturday, May 6, 2006

Happy Derby Day

I'm dressed and have had two cups of coffee and I'm ready to start my Derby Day merriment.  In case you're wondering, here's what my exciting Derby Day will be like:  laying on the couch watching the Derby Day coverage on TV, a very safe distance from Churchill Downs.  Yes, to some of you that will seem like I've lost all control of my senses, given the fact that I've been on the run for the past two weeks going to Derby festival events.  But to me, Derby Day is different.  The 'rents are going to be out of town on another cool day trip with some friends, so I'll have the house all to myself and I can't wait.  It will be a little odd; it's a Puddin family tradition for all of us to plant the garden and then take many breaks to come inside and watch the races, so it will be different this year.  But they'll be here with me in spirit.  And no, I'm not going to be planting the garden.

If you ask 1000 people from Louisville if they've been to the Derby, 999 of them would say no, and that they never will go.  Personally, I've been once and I know I won't go back, unless I have a ticket on Millionaire's Row and a limo to get me there.  Most people here in Louisville don't want to deal with the traffic and the crowds and standing in line for an hour to use the bathroom.  And I cannot blame them.  Derby weekend is a big travelling weekend for alot of people here in the city.  They just want to get away from all of the traffic and drama, and once again I can't blame them.

But the rain earlier in the week has moved out, and it's going to be a sunny day with temperatures in the upper 60's.  Add those factors in with the 150,000 people that will be there, most of whom will have been consuming mass quantities of alcohol all day long, and you've got an equation for a pretty bad sunburn.  But in case you're going to the track today for the Derby, never fear.  I read that Churchill Downs will be selling sunscreen for only $6. 

Have a safe and fun Derby Day, faithful readers.

No comments: