Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Blasphemy At The VFW

In my first months of being a VFW Ladies Auxiliary member, I've not said one negative word about the organization or the events - other than giving the blow-by-blow accounts of the drama at the monthly meetings and the weekly bingo.  But something happened last night at the VFW that made my blood run cold:  Blasphemy occurred last night.  It was not against God or our country; it was against The First Lady Of Country Music, Tammy Wynette. 

We were gathered at the VFW for the weekly jackpot drawing, and were having a great time visiting with the ultra cool old folks Rosie, Bud, and Bert (short for Roberta).  The topic of conversation was country music, and Rosie was telling how much she loved George Jones. I immidiately piped up with "I just love Tammy Wynette."  This is where the evening took an ugly turn, faithful readers.  Rosie took a long drink of her Milwaukee's Best Light (in a mug over ice, even) and said [in reference to George Jones' past history of drinking] "If I'd been married to Tammy Wynette, I would have drank, too."  Yes, she blasphemed The First Lady Of Country Music in my presence.  My Dad and Rosie's husband Bud had to steady me in my chair because I thought I was going to fall out into the floor. I was shocked and for a moment, I sat there stunned and speechless.  Rosie's husband waved his hand in the air, as if to brush her off and then said "I think 'Stand By Your Man' is the greatest country song ever written." Whew.  There's still hope yet in that family.  Maybe he can convert her. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That would be like someone telling me ~ ROY ORBISON was a louse or something.......Bet you wanted to slap her, right?

Anonymous said...

I'm having chest pains accompanied by a major twitch in my right eye right now.