Tuesday, May 9, 2006

Better Luck Next Time, David Blaine

When we last spoke in TWIT, David Blaine was getting ready to attempt to break the world's record for holding your breath underwater while escaping from chains and handcuffs.  Well, faithful readers, things didn't go to well for David Blaine last night.  He survived, but he was a minute and 52 seconds shy of breaking the record.  He was rescued from the water-filled ball by two professional divers after 7 minutes and 8 seconds of holding his breath.  He did manage to escape from the handcuffs and chains on his hands before his stunt ended, though.  When Blaine was pulled from the bubble, he was unconscious and having convulsions.  He was taken to the hospital, and was relased this afternoon, forunately with no complications other than his skin being wrinkled like a prune.

I thought for sure David Blaine was going to make it.  If he hadn't had to escape from the handcuffs and chains I think he would have gone the 9 minutes easily.  But after living inside the bubble for over a week, I think he was just worn out and getting out of the handcuffs zapped him of all of his energy.  I still give him props, though - I don't know of anyone else that can hold their breath underwater for over 7 minutes.  I know I'm not about to try. 

No comments: