Monday, May 29, 2006

A Memorial Day To Remember

I've done a lot of thinking and remembering this Memorial Day.  I thought about the veterans that fought and died while serving and protecting our country.  I thought about how happy I am to be involved in the VFW and to be able to work to keep the memories of our deceased veterans alive.  But there was another thing that I was remembering today - my high school graduation.  For you see, twenty-five years ago today I graduated from high school.

It doesn't seem like I graduated from high school twenty-five years ago.  I'm not going to lie and say it seems like yesterday, but I will say it doesn't seem like it happened a quarter of a century ago.  I do remember the day as if it happened yesterday.  My cousin Linda, her husband and their two small boys drove from their home in central California just to attend my graduation.  I remember what I wore underneath my dark green cap and gown - a white print sundress with a matching short-sleeve jacket and red heels.  We drove to the graduation in my cousin's bad ass 1954 perfectly restored Cadillac.  There was enough room in that car to hold my entire graduating class, I think.  It was very hot for the end of May, just like it was today.  I remember this because their Cadillac was a model in the pre-a/c era. 

I remember the ceremony, too.  I'm not ashamed to say that at the time, I hated my typing classes and most of my business classes that I had to take.  But at the graduation ceremony, I almost fell out of my chair when they called my name as the recipient of the four-year business award.  Little did I know, huh?  The ceremony continued, and I remember when they called my name to come up on the stage and get my diploma, I heard my neighbors and my second grandparents', the Jones', yelling and clapping.  My parents and other kinfolk there were a bit more reserved, but they were happy for me and my accomplishments nonetheless.  I hope they still are.

No comments: