Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Another Customer Service Horror Story

I thought I was doing good this weekend - we needed a new gas grill, and I needed to buy something for the 'rents for their anniversary (they're anniversary isn't for a few weeks, but I like to shop early) so my problem was solved.  I bought a new gas grill and gave it to the 'rents for an early anniversary gift. Mom found one in the Sunday sale papers that she wanted so we stopped on the way home from church and picked it up. It was on sale, too, and it was the only one left in the store.  Perfect.  Or so we thought.  We didn't open the box up until Monday morning, when Dad put the legs and handle on it.  It looked fine.  Then we attempted to light it yesterday afternoon, only to find that the ignitor switch was sheared in half.  They lit the grill the old fashioned way - with a match - and all was well.  I told the 'rents not to worry; I would call the company today and have them send us another switch.

I thought it would be easy; I'd call the company and tell them I just bought the grill and the part was broken and they would be oh so happy to send me a replacement part, maybe even send it next day air to me.  Au contraire. Here's a transcript of the phone call between the George Foreman Grill customer service rep and me:

CSR: May I help you?
Me: On Sunday I bought the George Foreman portable gas grill.  We opened it  yesterday and noticed that the ignitor switch was sheared in two.  Could you please send me a replacement switch?
CSR: I'm very sorry.  We don't offer replacement parts for the George Forema portable gas grill. 
Me:  You don't offer parts for an item that you sell?
CSR: No.  I'm very sorry.
Me:  Let me get this right - you don't sell replacement parts for a product that you all sell, so when people buy this $70 grill and something breaks or wears out, you just throw it away as if it were a disposable grill like you can buy at the drugstore that's made of aluminum foil and costs $2.99?
CSR: I'm very sorry but we do not have replacement parts for that particular model.
Me:  So you're basically telling that I'm screwed?
CSR: (a slight pause) I'm very sorry.
Me:  I'm sure you are.
CSR: You can take the grill back to where you purchased it and exchange it.
Me:   I'm the one that's sorry.  I'm sorry that I trusted the George Foreman name and bought this grill in the first place.  I wish I'd bought this on eBay so I could have filed a formal complaint or gotten my money back from Paypal.  

There you have it.  Another example of fine customer service.  At least if I'd gotten it on eBay as I mentioned to the CSR, I could have given negative feedback.  We think we can save the grill - Dad said that the ignitor switch is fairly universal so we should be able to get one at the hardware store.  I'm not counting on it, though. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: