Monday, April 25, 2005

What's In Your Emergency Backpack?

The horrible tsumani and the hurricanes last year has spurred the Red Cross and other emergency relief organizations into action - they're urging people to keep a backpack full of items they might need in an emergency.  On Friday night we had our first tornado warning of the season, and now people are in the mode for emergency preparedness.  Krogers has even gotten into the act - they're selling "emergency preparedness starter kits" in a small red backpack.  For the low price of only $24.95, you can be on your way to emergency preparedness.  Included in the backpack are a small flashlight (batteries included), an emergency blanket, 3 lights sticks (if you have the urge to go dancing at an all-night rave), 6 wet wipes (like you get at KFC), a breathing mask, a rain poncho, a small first aid kit, a water container (a heavy duty balloon that will hold 2 1/2 gallons), a whistle and a bio hazard bag (in case you need to get rid of nuclear waste? There's nothing in the pack for you to use to get the haz mat stuff INTO the bag, so you're on your own there.)

Most of the items in the backpack are common sense things we should have in the house or car already.  But what about items that you really would need in an emergency? Here's what I would put in my emergency preparedness kit:

1.  Cell phone  It's my umbilicle cord that connects me to the world.  I absentmindedly left my cell phone at home on Friday, and I was discombobulated all day long.  I'd also have 3 or 4 fully charged batteries, too. 

2.  Leather executive planner  I've had this planner for 17 years and I'm not about to leave it behind in an emergency.  Sure, it's has important dates, like birthdays and anniversaries, and concerts, as well as phone numbers and addresses.  But it also contains critical notes for TWIT.

3.  Chocolate  I don't think there's any situation that could arise that can't be made better and bearable by chocolate.  A stack of plain old Hershey Bars can get us through anything.

4.  Firm pillow  There's nothing more uncomfortable than wimpy, thin pillows.  I take my thick, firm pillow with me everytime I travel.  Should an emergency occur, I especially want to be well rested.

5.  Checkbook  This is a no-brainer.  If I need to buy more chocolate, another firm pillow or more cell phone batteries, I want to be prepared.  Also in the checkbook would be my driver's license.  Goodness knows they won't cash a check without proper identification.

6. Guitar  Not just any guitar from my collectin, but my beloved big blonde Takamine guitar.  Any time someone has wanted to pick it up and try it out, I've made them wash their hands first.  I even said that I want this guitar to be burried with me, so in case of an emergency I want it with me.  Maybe I could entertain people in the emergency shelter; a captive audience is better than no audience. 
 
7.  White terry cloth bathrobe  When I don't feel good, my old white robe makes me feel better.  If there's no towels in the emegency shelter, I'll still be able to dry off after taking a bath; an emergency is no excuse for uncleanliness.

8.  Twenty-two year old microwave  Our old Litton microwave works as good as it did on the day I bought it 22 years ago and I'm not about to leave it behind.  If I get the hankering for microwave popcorn during an emergency, I'll be good to go.

9.  Immodium AD  I never leave the house without a couple Immodium AD pills in my purse.  Not that I'm prone to need these, but this falls in the same category as gas-powered generators and snowblowers - when you need it, you NEED it.  Nuff said. 

10. Crown Royal  If the emergency is too much to handle, the Crown will get me drunk enough to forget about the emergency for awhile.  Plus the blue bag will come in handy to carry other essential emergency items. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Please subtitle this entry "10 Reasons I Love Puddin".  What an awesome list!