Sunday, April 10, 2005

Link of the Week

For the past week, the newspapers and tv news has been all about the Pope's death and the NCAA tourny.  I'm not dissing that - my point is that the media didn't tell us about hardly anything else.  Amid all of that coverage, I found a small one paragraph article from the Associated Press about Google.  People are all up in arms about a new feature at Google's map site.  You just enter an address, and it will bring up a cool satellite picture of the address.  I'm clueless why people are upset over this - it's not like the satellite picture shows people naked as they're getting out of the shower or shows their checking account number.  It's not like it's really an invasion of privacy - it's something anyone could see if they were up in the sky.  Go to http://maps.google.com/ and see for yourself.  Enter an address in the search box, and look on the top right side of the page and click on "satellite", or else it will bring up a detailed map of the address.  I was impressed when I saw the satellite view of The Compound, complete with the house, long driveway, garage, and the donkey's barn.  I think if I could have zoomed in just one more level, I could have even seen the donkeys.

No comments: