Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Say It Isn't So, ABC

Monday Night Football is leaving ABC.  No, this isn't a late April Fool's joke; it's true.  Beginning with the 2006 season, Monday Night Football will be on ESPN. Another big NFL change is occurring at the same time - the Sunday night NFL games that used to be on ESPN will be seen on NBC.  You almost need one of those game charts with the X's and O's to keep track of this. 

Monday Night Football has been on ABC since 1970, and has constantly been at the top of the ratings in its 35 year run on ABC.  It's also the second-longest running prime time network series, trailing CBS's Sixty Minutes by just two years.  Monday Night Football has been a staple at my house. In the early days of Monday Night Football, I remember hearing my Grandma and Grandpa fuss at the annoying Howard Cosell when he was the anchor for the games.  And it was during Monday Night Football that my [patient] Dad tried to help Mom and me understand about the game and what was going on.  Yeah, I know we can still watch it on Monday nights, but it won't be the same not seeing it on ABC.  I wonder if they'll still have Hank Williams Jr. sing the Monday Night Football song?  I bet ABC is glad they went ahead and aired the controversial Monday Night Football commercial starring "Desparate Housewives" star Nicolette Sheridan and player Terrell Owens last season. I can't think of too many people that are on ESPN shows that would look that good in just a towel.  

I know that the marjority of homes in the U.S. have cable, but there are still a lot that don't. The Nielson ratings people say that 66% of homes in the U.S. have cable tv.  That means that out of of every three homes here won't be able to watch Monday Night Football.  How sad for them. They're welcome to come to our home and watch it with us.  They'll have to bring their own snacks, though. 

No comments: