Friday, April 8, 2005

My Newest Gadget

As some of you already know, I'm gadget freak; any cool hi-tech toy that comes out, I've got to have it.  I was one of the first people at work and in my circle of friends to get a cell phone.  A decade and a half before that, I was also one of the first to get a VCR.  Yes, it was a beta.  But hey - that's all they had when they first came out.  I'm proud to say that my Sony BetaMax works as good as it did the day I bought it.  Some of the other cool gadgets I've acquired over the years are a zip drive for my computer (purchased when zip drives were first introduced; not on eBay last week for a buck), a conversion kit that let me play CD's on my Sony Disc Man over the cassette player in my car, a color Palm Pilot with a browser and a folding keyboard.  My latest acquisition is the Jabra wireless headset for hands-free use of my cell phone.  It's very cool. 

The first time I saw one was a few months ago on TV.  Jennifer Beals' character was using one on a Showtime Original Series show, and I thought "how cool is that?"  I could have gotten one through Verizon, but you know my motto:  life is too short to pay retail. So where else do you go but to eBay.  I did some research and found one that was compatible with my phone, and I was able to get it through the wonderful "Buy It Now" feature on eBay.  Since my phone is not a Bluetooth phone, I also had to buy a small adapter, too, which I also found on eBay at a greatly reduced price. 

Granted, this might be a bit more than people would be willing to pay just to talk on their cell phones hands-free.  But if I added up what I've paid over the years for all of the hands-free headsets that never would stay in my ear, nor made me sound like I was talking inside a wind tunnel, the Jabra doesn't cost a whole lot more.  The reception is great on it - when talking to people, they're surprised that I'm using a headset because I come through loud and clear.  The headset will work up to 30 feet away from the phone and adapter.  So no more missing calls while my phone is in my purse in the backseat of the car.  And the headset fits great - it's not uncomfortable nor cumbersome - I hardly know it's on my ear.  When I get a call, all I do is reach up and touch a button on the headset and start talking.  If your phone is equipped for voice recognition for dialing numbers, all you do is touch that same button, and speak the person's name that you have programmed in and you're connected.  The adapter is very small and thin, and comes with a small piece of Velcro if you want to attach it to your phone.  You just plug the adapter into the spot on your phone where you would normally plug in the hands-free headset and you're good to go. 

Go on and get one - you won't be disappointed. Give me a call sometime and we'll chat.

No comments: