Thursday, April 21, 2005

Thunder Rocks?

The good people of Louisville and southern Indiana are wigging out today, myself included.  In just two days, we will be host to Thunder Over Louisville - the world's largest fireworks display.  In just two days, the weather people are predicting rain and temperatures in the upper 40s. For those that don't have a clue what I'm talking about, Thunder Over Louisville is the kick-off for the Kentucky Derby Festival.  Thunder Over Louisville is the largest annual pyrotechnics display, and is even larger than the opening and closing ceremonies of the Atlanta and Barcelona Olympics combined.

I attended my first Thunder last year with some friends from school.  The weather was perfect.  We got there at about 10:00 in the morning and set up our chairs and dining canopy and tailgated.  We had tickets for the Bats game, and had a pretty good day.  A few weeks ago, I started planning for this year's Thunder.  I bought myself one of the cool glow-in-the-dark "Thunder Rocks" ballcaps, and got a bunch of the glow-in-the-dark rubber bracelets for us to wear Saturday.  We decided on the menu for the day, and I made my infamous check-list of things to buy and to pack in the back of the Blazer.  Last weekend, the weather people started saying there would be a slight chance of showers Saturday morning, with temperatures in the mid 60s.  As this week progressed, the forecast because rainer and colder.  Today, they're calling for lots of wind and highs of the mid 40s, with temperatures of the upper 30s by the time the fireworks start Saturday evening.

So now, everybody's plans are up in the air.  Sure, nobody wants to have to drag out their winter coats and bundle up and sit out in a lawn chair all day and half the night in the cold, wind, but yet nobody really wants to miss Thunder.  As for me and my group, nobody has made an executive decision yet.  I'm the one that's done all of the planning and organizing, so I'm pretty sure that I will be the one to decide if we abort the mission.  I've stressed over the weather forecast for over a week now.  I'm a planner, and have things planned down the smallest detail.  Friends will tell you I'm not anal nor obsessive/compulsive about it, but I'm just a planner, and I don't do well when there's uncertainty about my plans.  I can handle changing plans, but I just don't do uncertainty very well.  I think that's why I have such a great stress- and drama-free friendship with my fellow Diva Stacy.  She lets me plan and organize our events, and just runs with it, and being a wife and mother, she's one of the best to deal with sudden plan changes, so she's there to help me not stress over it.  Unfortunately for us, we have different Thunder plans this year, so it looks like I'm on my own to get through this; I'll just have to bum some Xanax from somebody.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what played at the end of this event?

(It's Over...........by who?  ROY ORIBSON

Barb

Anonymous said...

We thought of you when the fireworks ended, BLGMama.  
They didn't play any songs from Heart nor Pat Benetar.  I don't think they even played any songs from Janis Joplin nor Aretha Franklin.  From what I remember, I think Blondie and Jefferson Airplane were the only groups they played that had female singers.  It was blatant discrimination.