Monday, April 4, 2005

Redneck Hell

In the early 60s, Tex Ritter had a song called "Hillbilly Heaven."  In the song, he sings about having a dream where he went to heaven and saw legendary country artists like Patsy Cline, Hank Williams, Buddy Holly and others.  Last night, I had a similar experience, only it wasn't a dream - it was real.  I went to BW3's to get a carry-out order of hot wings, and inadvertantly walked into the middle of Wrestlemania 21.  I found myself in Redneck Hell.

On the way to BW3's, I reasoned that it would be an okay time to go - there were no NCAA games going on, and the big NASCAR race was over, so the place shouldn't be packed to capacity.  Boy was I wrong.  I hadn't gone more than 10 feet from the car in the parking lot when I heard the roar of the crowd coming from inside the restaurant.  I stopped dead in my tracks, and hesitated before going on in, but thought "well, I'm already here so I might as well go on in."  I walked through the doors, and there was honestly standing room only for the pay-per-view showing of Wrestlemania 21.  Surprisingly enough, there was no one in line at the counter, so I was able to step right up and order my wings.  I managed to find an empty seat on a bench that was labeled "For carry-out customers only" and waited for my order. 

Wrestlemania was on every TV in the entire restaurant and bar.  (Emphasis on the word "every.")  The sound of the crowd cheering and jeering during the match between the Undertaker and the Legend Killer was almost deafening at times.  Doing an informal survey of the crowd, I'd say the majority fo the people watching Wrestlemania there were either under 30 or over 50.  When I scanned the crowd, I stopped counting when I spotted the third t-shirt that said "Git 'er done."  I'm sure there were probably more. 

And did I mention that BW3's charged a $5 cover charge to get in the place to watch this wrestling extravaganza? Thank goodness the matches had already started and they bouncer had  quit taking cover charges, or else they wouldn't have gotten my business. 

Never having seen The Undertaker before, I still knew he would easily beat The Legend Killer.  On the previews before the match, they showed The Legend Killer clotheslining some blonde female wrestler, and knocking her unconscious.  I knew he was going down.  I did some research online this morning, and The Undertaker's win over The Legend Killer increases his Wrestlemania record to 13-0. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Where do you live in Bowling Green?
I live off Nashville Road.