Friday, January 28, 2005

Woman Gives Birth To Giant Baby

For the past couple of weeks at work, all we've heard about is baby news; co-workers have had babies, co-workers' kids have had babies, and two co-workers are in various stages of pregnancy. I heard some more baby news last week that has intrigued and fascinated me: a woman in Brazil gave birth to 16.7 pound baby boy.  The doctors weren't kidding when they called it "a giant baby."  The doctors said the baby was healthy, and mother and baby were doing fine.  This was the largest baby born at this hospital in 12 years.  In an official statement to the press, the hospital director said "Obviously the baby was born by Caesarean section."  No joke.  That would be the equivalent of the poor mother delivering a 6-month old. That woman would have been ripped to shreds. The woman has 4 other children, who were born weighing between 7.7 and 11 pounds, so all of them have been above the average for that part of the world.  The hospital said that the woman, her husband and the staff at the hospital were caught by surprise.  I think that's an understatement. 

I told this story to a friend of ours, and she told me that her son weighed 11 pounds and 3 ounces.  She said that he was the biggest baby born at the old Norton's hospital when it was over on 3rd Street.  I see now why he's an only child. 

I don't know why this has fascinated me so much this week; maybe because all of the baby news going on here at work.  I was talking to my Mom about this, and she said "That would have been equal to the woman delivering four of you."  This might come as a surprise to you, but I was just a tad over 4 pounds when I was born.  I was a month early, and was a breach baby.  My Mom has always said "You came out butt first, and have been bass-acwards ever since."  Gee, thanks, Mom. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not that you really care but my Michael was 11# 12 oz.'s going on 35 years ago this year...........at the time seems like what I recall was Can I call this off? Lol........I'm a tuff old broad too, natural childbirth with as much pain medicine as they gave all them years ago..

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm now that I think about it, maybe that's the reason I'm an only child.

Anonymous said...

It may be false for me to assume, but I think the larger the baby, the better that he will be assured a healthier life.  There is nothing more pleasing to me than seeing a healthy happy baby gurgling with glee.  I've seen some babies that just seem unhappy and sickly.  I was birthed at a healthy 8 lbs 3 oz and even though my full head of dark hair in the womb created neverending heartburn to my mother during her pregnancy, she has always commented on how happy I was during my toddler years.  Long live the giant baby and may his mother's breast milk flow keep up with his inevitable voracious appetite.