Monday, January 3, 2005

File Under: WTF?

I was bored yesterday evening, and decided to run out to Wal-Mart just to get out of the house for a bit.  It seems the rest of Jefferson county had the same idea, because the parking lot was full.  After almost getting hit 4 times, I finally found a parking spot and started my trek to the store.  As always, I was people watching - observing the mass exodus to and from the store.  I saw something that almost made me stop in my tracks: people were wearing shorts - some even had on sandals with their shorts.  Let me repeat for emphasis:  it was January 2, and people were wearing shorts.

I saw my first pair of shorts earlier in the day at Logan's steakhouse while we were having Sunday dinner.  I didn't think too much of it, as the shorts were being worn by a PAT who didn't have good sense and wanted to wear the long baggy basketball shorts he got for Christmas.  But at Wal-Mart, there were shorts of all types - khakis, bluejean cut-offs, basketball, sweatpants cut-offs - you name it, I saw it.  And the majority of the people I saw wearing the shorts were adults who appeared to be my age and older; people that should know better.  Yes, we've had our warm-up this past week, and the temperature was about 60 last night when I was out. Plus it had been raining all day, and the weather was very damp.  But in my opinion, it was no reason to act like it's July and wear shorts.  If I go hang out by the clinics and immediate care centers later this week, I'm sure I'll see these same people going there to be treated for URIs and bronchitis. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My hand on my heart, this is a true story.

Last Wednesday, December 29, I met a friend for lunch at Cafe' Lou Lou.  As I was leaving, I was driving down a side street and there was a man (probably in his 50's) helping someone dig out of a snow bank, wearing jeans and a wife beater t-shirt.  Bare legs are bad enough.  Bare chest is insane.  What's wrong with people?  Do they think they just look so great in shorts and underwear that they have to wear it when it's cold?  Or are they just hot?  Whatever.  WTF is right.

Anonymous said...

On Christmas Eve, when I was making my trip up to Walgreens and White Castle, I saw 3 guys trying to dig out of their driveways, and they all were wearing short sleeve shirts.  This was right in the midst of our arctic weather - it was probably 15 degrees when I saw them.  Most definitely WTF.