Monday, January 10, 2005

Let's Go To The Movies

My good friend PJ enjoys razzing me over the [astonishing] fact that I'm not a movie watcher.  I go to the movie theater on the average of once a year.  Even though I have every movie channel available on our digital cable, I still don't watch many movies at home.  It's just that there's other things I'd rather be doing than giving up 2-3 hours at a time.  Today, I can blame the internet, especially the Pogo game site.  I can also blame "All My Children", because I spend an hour each night watching the day's episode.  But even as a teenager and young adult, I still wasn't all that into movies.  Back in the day, I had my music and would rather spend the time listening to the good old vinyl records or tapes, or playing the guitar. 

The conversations during lunchtime at work are usually about movies.  A few of my co-workers that I eat lunch with go to the movies all the time.  They're always talking about "I saw '_____' last night" or "I saw '______' over the weekend.'  I just sit and take it all in.  I'm vaguely familiar with the movies they talk about from reading the newspaper or seeing it on Entertianment Tonight.  But I can't chime in and give my opinion of the flick because I haven't seen it.  And the majority of the time, I just didn't want to see it.  Such is the case with "Titanic."  Yes, it was one of the biggest movie hits in the history of motion pictures, but I simply had no desire to go sit through a few hours of watching Leonardo DiCaprio with Celine Dion singing in the background.  I couldn't tell you anything about all of the "Lord of the Rings" movies, either.  Just not my thing.  I don't diss movie goers, nor all of the people that are borderline obsessed with LOTR - it's just not something I would enjoy. 

By now you're probably thinking I'm one strange cookie for not going to the movies, so I'll go one further and admit that when I do watch movies, they're ones that I've seen dozens of times. I'll refer to them as "classics" - you know, Gone With The Wind, Casablanca, Wizard of Oz, Grease, Saturday Night Fever, to name some of my favorites.  Out of all of these, Gone With The Wind is my favorite.  I've seen it so many times I can recite the actors' lines, just like I know some of my friends can do with the Star Wars trilogy or some of those Adam Sandler movies. 

No comments: