Saturday, January 1, 2005

Happy New Year

It's hard to believe today is the start of another new year. In keeping with my optimistic theme, I like to think of it as starting the new year with the slate wiped clean - letting go of all of the not-so-good things that happened last year and looking forward to a year filled with opportunities, happiness and adventures. 

We ended the year on a very dark note - with the eyes of the world focussed on the devastating earthquake and tsunami.  But at the same time, we can be thankful - thankful that it didn't happen to us or our family and friends.  I'm a firm believer that there's no such thing as coincidence; I think things happen to get our attention and to make us appreciate how great we have it. We all had troubles, disappointments, sadness and drama this past year; some experienced more than others; it wasn't all a year-long picnic for any of us.  Yet we made it through the illnesses, deaths, finanical strains, job troubles, and good ole family drama.  And we'll face the same obstacles this year - hopefully, we've learned from the past and we'll be able to weather the storms of 2005. 

I normally don't make New Year's resolutions, but this year I broke tradition and made one.  Actually, I made it back in the early fall.  I don't refer to it as a 'resolution' - I just call it a 'promise to myself.'  This year, I've promised myself that I will be completely debt free by June 1.  It's not like I've got a dozen credit cards all maxed out and have debtors calling me at work and home all day long; but I have a few bills that have been the albatross around my neck, and I'm on my way to getting rid of them.  I  might be able to move up my deadline to Derby Day, thanks to some good luck yesterday - my Blazer repairs ended up being about 1/4 of what we'd originally thought. The repairs were "only" $400, a bargain by today's car repair standards. 

I wish you, my faithful readers, love, health, success, and happiness in the new year ahead. Just remember one thing this year when trouble comes knocking at our doors this year- we can handle whatever happens, and be thankful we weren't in the tsunami.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Words to live by.  Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for you wishes for a happy New Year.  We all know that life will always bite us with hidden unexpectations.  Wisdom that comes with age makes us wiser.  The debt shadow will always follow us but as Grandma Alfie has always said, one must spend money to make money.  So in all reality, debt is a mainstay in our lives and quite a motivating factor.  I laugh at all of the tricksters out there that think they have conquered life with their elixir of youthful optimism just as they have laughed at the progression of age on folks like me.  History repeats itself, as with every generation, and I am happy to make it another year--stronger from the wisdom I have attained through life experiences but still in it for the long run for those that are older than me.  Tragedy will still occur in the world and maybe even closer to us than we prefer.  But I'm looking forward to the new year with an exuberance that no one can take way from me.  Best wishes to you Puddinprp for a healthy, happy and prosperous New Year.

Anonymous said...

Like we discussed the other day, my friend - I really believe our Grandmother our guardian angel has been watching over us, and I know her prayers will be with us in the new year.