Tuesday, January 18, 2005

It Was So Cold . . . . .

It was so cold this morning that all of the dials on the BMW's dashboard were frozen.  Yes, you heard me right - all of the dials on the dashboard were frozen.  When I went outside at 7:30 to start the car and let the heater [attempt] to warm up, it was 8 degrees on our back porch.  That's insanely cold for the Ohio Valley area.  I came back out about 10 minutes later (yes, I know I my big 12 cylinder engine was just wasting gas, but at least it had warmed up), and when I was turing around in the driveway, something caught my eye - the gas gauge was on empty. I had just filled the 26-gallon tank up yesterday during lunch, so I knew that I had plenty of gas; even the 10 minutes of idling in the driveway couldn't have wasted an entire tank of gas.  Then as I pulled out of the drive I looked at the spedometer - it was still on 0, as was the tachometer and every other dial that should have been registering something. 

I didn't think too much more about it, and continued the drive to work.  The car was running fine, so I didn't worry.  Then after about 3 minutes of driving my normal speed, the gauges returned to where they normally should have been.  I guess it was so cold that they just froze up.   In that few minutes when everything was frozen and not moving, all I could think of was $$$$$ to get the problem fixed.  I didn't have an anxiety attack, however; I just kept driving and drinking my morning coffee.  But I breathed a huge sigh of relief when the dashboard went back to normal. 

No comments: