Wednesday, January 19, 2005

DSL Customer Service Update

My entire evening has been just pissed away messing with the BellSouth DSL.  True to their word, the missing parts did arrive today as promised.  That was the only positive part of this DSL experience. After getting the missing parts and getting things hooked back up (which took me about a half an hour) I tried to download the installation software again.  It froze up again, just like it did a dozen times Monday night. I called our dear friend Bosley, who is the family's personal computer/electric/plumbing/heating & a/c guru to help me out.  He was down here in a flash, and set to work.  Please let me preface by saying this man is a saint, and in the 20 years we've known him, tonight was the first time I've heard him cuss.  He worked for about an hour, and finally got the computer to recognize the DSL modem.  All of the lights were on on the modem, so we considered that a plus. But we still couldn't get the installation software to download.  So as a last resort we called back BellSouth.  After being put on hold for 4 times, "Joanie" finally reported back that I couldn't use the USB connection for my Windows 98, and would have to use the ethernet connection.  Which would require a $50+ ethernet card.  Bosley hung up from them, and started unhooking all of the DSL crap and tossed it back in the box for me to mail back to them tomorrow. As soon as I had the stuff boxed up, I called Insight, our local cable people, and ordered their broadband service.  Please keep your fingers crossed that it will work for me.  I'm not sure Bosley and I can handle too many more nights like this.

No comments: