Thursday, January 27, 2005

Five Easy Clicks, My A$$

Even though it's my birthday, I feel terrible.  Not sick-terrible, just guilty-terrible.  For the second time in one week, I've caused our friend Bob to lose his religion.  The poor man spent two and a half hours last night trying to get my new laptop configured to the wireless router. 

I'll preface by saying the evening started out on a very positive note.  I'm proud to say that I successfully installed an ethernet card and a USB port card into the computer with no problems at all.  Actually the only difficulty that we encountered was trying to pop out the little covers for the card slots.  But the cards popped right into place, and as soon as I booted up the computer, thanks to the wonderful plug-and-play feature, the drivers were installed and we were good to go. 
Then it was time to hook up the wireless router and attempt to get the laptop connected.  Our friend Bob had told me to call him when I was ready and he would come down and do it for me. I didn't think this would be a major ordeal; the wording on the router box said "you can be networking in just 5 clicks."  Riiiiiiight.  So I called and he was there in 5 minutes.  He checked the way I had the router connected to the modem and computer, and said it was set up properly.  Then he went to work on the laptop.  Boy, did he work. 

The first snag of the evening was the fact that there was no manual with the laptop.  The only thing similar to instructions was a 5 x 7 card that had "Quick start" instructions on it, like how to plug the battery in and turn in on.  So we were on our on with the laptop.  But the "set-up" wizard kept saying "turn on the wireless internet switch" and we couldn't find it on the laptop.  After about an hour of trying to configure and connect with no luck, Bob finally found the switch.  He said "Maybe I should have worn my glasses."  Maybe so.  Then he went back to the configuring.  Let me say again, that Bob is a religious man.  To me, his character and integrity ranks up there with Billy Graham or the Pope in my book.  But during many many unsuccessful attempts last night, I was witness to hearing Bob cuss for only the 2nd time in the 20+ years that we've known him; the first time was last week.  I felt terrible - I've caused this man to backslide.

Persistance paid off, and two and a half hours after he started, he finally had the laptop configured and connected to the router and cable modem wirelessly.  We were both amazed.  He even took the laptop out to the front porch and turned it off and back on just to test it out, and it connected just as fast as if he'd been using the desktop with the broadband connection.  Isn't technology wonderful?

Thanks again for all of your help, Bob.  You rock. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The wonderful world of technology.............make you do this! LOL............cuss that is.............