Friday, October 22, 2004

Zealots, Be Damned

In keeping with the political theme, I need to vent about something else that bothers me; it bothers me way more than people who drive around with campaign bumper stickers on their cars two years after the election.  At least that is just annoying to look at; what's worse are the overzealous people who try to cram their poltiical beliefs and ideas down our throats. 

It's like these people are just out looking for a fight; they act like it doesn't matter what anyone else believes because their belief is the ONLY belief.   Most of these zealots that I come in contact with can take an innocent question like "How's it going?" and twist and turn it until you're smack in the middle of a presidential candidate bashing.  To them, there's not one thing right/positive/good about the opposing candidates; they're all the spawns of Satan. They always seem to have an answer - I think they must spend every spare minute online reading site after site about political propaganda. 

I know this will only get worse - in the days leading up to the election they'll be more vocal.  And heaven help us all after the election.  I don't know what will be worse - if their candidates win or if they lose. If their candidates win, then they were right all along and everyone else was wrong; if they lose, then it was rigged and the people that voted for the opposition are complete morons.  I think I might take a vacation day on November 3 and stay in bed all day, just so I don't have to come into contact with any of these people. 

Those of you who know me well know that I don't talk about my political beliefs;  I just with that others would do the same.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We've actually had a couple of employees at work complain to the HR department about this topic.  They are sick of hearing zealots go on and on and on......

It's 2004 people, you can't do that at work anymore.  It's illegal.  Contributes to a hostile work enviornment.

And one of my good friends is really bad.  She cornered me at a wedding reception the other night.  The best thing to do is just smile and nod til they go away.