Sunday, October 3, 2004

Link Of The Week

I hesitate to say my Blazer is a lemon, but since it rolled off the General Motors assembly line in 1996, I've received 6 recall notices.  Sometimes it was for minor things, like a bolt on the rear windshield wiper motor; other times it was for something major, like an axel or gas tank shield.  Other than getting these things fixed and replacing the air conditioner compressor, I really haven't had much trouble with it.  But last summer, I had an unexpected $$$ repair; I had to have the manifold gasket replaced.  I forked over the money for the repair, and after whining about it to a friend, they suggested I check online to see if there was any information about a recall about this problem.  Knowing full well I wouldn't take the time, they looked it up for me, and found some information at a great site, AllData.com.  Not only can you find reacalls and warnings issued about any automobile ever manufactured, you can also find out aboue appliances and other equipment.  The specific link is www.alldata.com/recalls/index.html.  It's a great place to look if you're thinking about buying a used car.  Best of all, the site is free.  Alot of other sites charge you for information like this. 

Now for the rest of the story about my manifold gasket problem.  While there was no official recall from GM, there was an "issue."  After researching some more online, I signed an online petition started by other Blazer owners who had this "issue."  Six months later, I received a registered letter from a Detroit law firm who was handling a lawsuit against GM about this "issue."  All I had to do was fill out a form they sent me, and send them a copy of the repair bill, and just sit back and wait for the check to come in the mail.  I'm still waiting. 

No comments: