Thursday, October 28, 2004

The Curse Has Been Broken

Way to go, Boston.  We believed and you delivered.  Now I can get back to my normal 10:00 bedtime.  I'm worn out from the past weeks of extra-innings games going till past midnight. 

The Sox made history by battling back in the playoffs with four consecutive wins over the Yankees.  They were down 3 games to none when they opened a big can of whoopass on the Yankees.  I think the moment that turned the tide in the playoffs was when superstar Alex Rodriguez overtly and purposefully smacked the ball out of th Sox player's glove as he was running to first base.  I was shocked when all they did was call him out - if it had been a pro football or pro basketball player that pulled a stunt like that, they would have been fined and the team would have been slapped with a technical foul or some other sanction.  But at least they called A-Rod out and didn't count Jeter's run. 

It's hard to pick one stand-out moment from the world series, though; all of Johnny Damons home runs qualify.  But for me, THE moment was Johnny's homerun in the first inning last night on his first at bat.  That set the tone for the rest of the game.  It was a hoot to see fans in the stands wearing wigs with long hair and black shaded makeup on their faces a la Johnny. 

I was impressed with the big-name singers that they got to sing the national anthem and God Bless America.  Hands down, my favorite moment was when Donna Summer belted out God Bless America in the 2nd game.  I half-way expected to hear her break into "Hot Stuff."  It would have been appropriate last night.

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well if our Sox fan ain't struting today..........maybe next year my Cubbies can break their CURSE..........

Anonymous said...

A coworker's father passed away 7 weeks ago.  He was from the northeast and was a huge Sox fan.  He was even buried in his Red Sox jacket and had other Sox souveniers in his coffin.  Someone was commenting they were sad that he missed seeing them win the Series.  I like to belive he had a front row seat.

Anonymous said...

I most definitely think he had a front row seat.