Thursday, October 7, 2004

Orange You Glad?

I was royally duped at the grocery store the other morning.  I went there in search of orange Hi-C.  The McDonalds up the street carries orange Lava Burst Hi-C, which tastes almost like the old school orange Hi-C.  So when I saw the small drink box version of Lava Burst, I bought a package.  I couldn't wait to get to work to open a box.  Imagine my surprise when I poured the drink into my glass and saw that it was clear; it wasn't the deep orange color like the Lava Burst at McD's.  Surprise turned to disgust when I took a sip and discovered that it tasted nothing like how I thought it should taste.  After discussing this with some co-workers, I figured out why orange Hi-C doesn't taste as good as it used to: they don't package it in the metal cans any more. 

The first time I remember having orange Hi-C was in kindergarten.  For those of you doing the math, I'll save you the effort and say the year was 1968.  We would get either orange or grape Hi-C for our snack.  I guess we were easily amused, because we were fascinated when the teacher, Mrs. Johnston, would get the small metal can opener out of her desk and poke the 2 small triangular holes in the top of the can. 

Someone had a plastic bottle of orange Hi-C here at work in the refrigerator, and they were kind enough to let me have a glass so I could conduct a taste test.  It was just as I suspected - it still didn't taste like the old school version from the metal can.  But at least the bottled version was orange-colored.  I still say that the metal can had something to do with the awesome taste.  Maybe our resident scientist GoalieGirl can explain this for us.   

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of my friend GoalieGirl, I'd like to congratulate her on getting an A on her psychology exam last week.  (I hear she had an awesome tutor, LOL).  I commend her on working and going to college full-time and for managing to have a life in between.  She rocks.  

Anonymous said...

ok well.  i'm working on this solution.  Your best bet is that the metal ions present in the metal can reacted with the acidic (yes it is slightly acidic) Hi-C juice. I did a little research.  (I just couldn't resist)  I found no mention of the effect the metal can had on the taste so I am going by my chemistry background (ok so i almost have a minor in it) ;)  

Cheers!!!   (now i want some Hi-C)

Courtney