Friday, October 8, 2004

Just Loafing Around

I've had an epiphany in my life; call it a conquest, if you will.  I've solved the mystery and urban legend about color-coded twist ties on bread. 

Since the introduction of mass production, manufacturers have used code dating systems that allow them to track when a product was produced without overtly revealing the product's precise age to the consumer.  Such is the case with bread.  Bakeries use different color twist ties to indicate the day each loaf was baked.  The visual cue makes it easy for delivery people to rotate stock, putting the older bread toward the front and the newer toward the back.  But there is no universally accepted twist-tie code system; each bakery has its own.   I called the Butternut Bread Outlet in my neighborhood, and according to Marie, a long-time employee, here is the code for Butternut, Wonder, and Sunbeam breads:

Monday - Blue
Tuesday - Green
Wednesday - Orange
Thursday - Red
Friday - Yellow
Saturday - White

So if you go the store today, ideally you'd want bread with a red twist tie, since it was baked yesterday. 

Take a good look at the shelves the next time you're in the store.  I bet you won't see any one brand of bread with more than 2 different color twist ties.  Most store pull old bread after 2 days, making sure you get the freshest bread possible.  Now go have a sandwich. 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How in the sam hell am I supposed to remember which day is which color tie, when I can't remember which day it is some days can you tell me that? - fresh bread, shit I can't even eat bread, I'm on a low carb diet.......forget - never mind.

Anonymous said...

I forgot to mention the key to the code: if you look at the colors, they're in alphabetical order.  So just connect the two -- early in the week means early in the alphabet.  

Anonymous said...

I'm with blg mama.  That's just too damn much work for a slice of bread.  I'll just stick to squeezing the loaf.

Anonymous said...

Those of you that know me well can testify that I am not an anal person.  But I do become anal when it comes to stale bread.  I will touch the slices of bread before I use them, and if they don't live up to my standards of fresh, they get tossed in the garbage.  Since we've been on the quasi health kick, for the past year we always eat wheat bread.  And unfortunately, I've discovered that it gets stale long before white bread does.  Thank goodness the bread store outlet is just about a mile and a half from home.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure I want to know what drove you to decipher this code, but nice work, Detective. :-D

~Lachlan
www.mysocalledblog.com

Anonymous said...

I bought a bag of ice on the way to the Race For The Cure this morning and it had a red twist tie on it.  I wonder if that means the ice was frozen on Thursday?