Sunday, October 10, 2004

Link Of The Week

Saturday Night Live has always been one of my favorite tv shows.  But not so much in the recent years - the 70's and 80's shows were the best.  Those years gave us some of the funniest, brightest comedians - Gilda Radner, Dan Ackroyd, Chevy Chase, Dana Carvey and Eddie Murphy to name a few. 

One of the funniest sketches from SNL aired during the 1987 season.  It was an episode of "Church Chat" starring Church Lady, as played by Dana Carvey.  On this particular Church Chat, Church Lady's guests were Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker, portrayed by Phil Hartman and Jan Hooks.  The expression "laughed until I cried" does not even come close to describe how funny I thought this sketch was.  My good friend Michael and I would repeat lines from the sketch for years after it first aired, and we still laugh about the sketch today.  As I write this, I'm seeing visions of Jan Hooks as Tammy Faye, wearing a big blonde wig and having streams of black mascara running down her cheeks as she shrieks "We have a payment due, partners." Michael and I have photographic memories when it comes to lines from tv shows and movies (side note: "Knots Landing" starring my idol Donna Mills is another favorite we like to quote).

If you'd like to walk down memory lane and reminisce about older (and newer) Saturday Night Live episodes, I've got the perfect site for you : http://snltranscripts.jt.org.  This site has transcripts from every episode of Saturday Night Live.  Yes, that's right - every episode.  They even have last night's episode posted. They also have great photos from the sketches, too.  They list the original air date, the host, the musical guests and the songs they performed, and every sketch and who performed the sketch.  It's an awesome site.  If you're an SNL fan like me, be prepared to spend hours on there reading. 

That's the news, goodnight and have a pleasant tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I rememeber the one where Sean Penn punched the Church Lady........that was a riot..........

the Jimmy Swaggart.............tears...........hilarous too!

Anonymous said...

Could it be......SATAN???!!!!