Saturday, October 16, 2004

Who's benefiting from the benefit?

I'd like to introduce today's post, written by a Guest Writer, my dear friend Stacy. She worded this much more eloquently than I would have.

It seems every time I’m at a stoplight or driving down the road, I am staring at the back of someone’s car plastered with yellow or red, white and blue “Support Our Troops” ribbons.  This made me stop and think, “Someone’s wallet is getting fat off these things.  I wonder who it is?”  So yesterday I stopped at Walgreens for some greeting cards and as I’m checking out I notice a large display of said ribbons at the check out.  First observation; they are magnetic.  I was wondering why people would glue a sticker to the paint of their SUV or mini van (which incidentally, seems to be the vehicle of choice for these ribbons?)  Then I proceeded to read all signage around the display.  I even flipped the thing over to see if there was any indication that the troops’ families or some worthy cause would benefit from me buying one of these things…..nope….nothing….nadda

So I’m back to my original thought.  I’m sure the people buying these things think they are helping someone out.  Who is that person exactly?  My guess…some shady entrepreneur.  Maybe not even an American.  Something to think about, eh?

 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

After discussing this topic with Stacy, I did a quick search online yesterday afternoon.  The results of my research were just as we had expected.  I did a simple search for "yellow ribbon stickers."  Out of the 20 sites I looked at that actually sold these stickers, only 1 site said that the money went to the troops, and that was a site set up by a group of wives whose husbands are serving in Iraq.  

Anonymous said...

ok i'd have to totally agree with all of you.  WTF is up with that?  Also, I heard a rumor (and this is a rumor) that the Livestrong bracelets aren't donating their money to charity either.  Now that pisses me off.  I think one of the worst things to do is to profit off of someone else's problems.  That's f*ed up and that's what i'm thinking (sorry for the pun carla)

Peace out!

Einstein

Anonymous said...

I'm going on good faith that the LiveStrong bracelets that you buy directly from the Lance Armstrong Foundation actually send the money to cancer research, etc. I don't think Sheryl Crow would wear one, nor let her boyfriend wear one if the money wasn't going to the cause.  I know for a fact they are gouging people to no end on Ebay --- the bracelets have been going for as much as $10 a piece.  Then you add another gouging for the ridiculous $4-$5 shipping costs. Those people on Ebay are the shiesters.  If anyone wants a bracelet but finds they're backordered from the Lance Armstrong site, I found one reputable seller on Ebay - they're called British Trading Company. They sell the bracelets for the original $1 plus only $1 shipping and handling. I  bought a few from them while I was waiting for my LAF shipment to arrive. That's a steal for shipping considering the bracelets came in a padded envelope, which cost about a buck.  

Anonymous said...

http://www.laf-store.org/   (you can buy them for a $1.00 but only qty of 10, 100 and 1200 I didn't go on and see what the shipping was - this is Lance's site) and so much of the first amount the collect is to do to research.......(childrens) -if I read correctly........I sorta skim read)

Anonymous said...

I watched the [long] Red Sox/Yankeess game last night, and they showed Lance doing a commercial for Bristol-Myers Squibb and how their research and meds helped him.
The American Diabetes Association sent a list of statistics and facts about diabetes, and they said that every $50 donated would pay for an hour of research.  I'm guessing that would be a ballpark figure for any type of disease research.  If so, then cancer research should be able to make great strides just off of the LiveStrong bracelets.  

Anonymous said...

Stacy has a great point here. People need to be very careful about how they support various causes. I thought for sure there would be a LIVESTRONG type bracelet for Diabetes, but I just wasn't  able to find one. Since two of my three children are diabetics we feel very strongly about finding a cure for Diabetes. We decided as a family to have some rubber wristband bracelets manufactured so we could sell them and give the money to the American Diabetes Association and the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. We are very honest and are donating our time to this project so the contribution to these organizations can be maximized. I just found out about the Diabetes Research Institute so some money might go to them too. I wouldn't trust just anyone out there though. It is very easy to be tricked into thinking you are doing a good thing, but really you are just making someone rich. www.diabetesbracelet.com