Wednesday, October 6, 2004

Farewell, Rodney Dangerfield

I'm sad to post news of another celebrity death; comedian Rodney Dangerfield died yesterday at the age of 82.  He fell into a coma after undergoing heart surgery.  I saw his widow on the morning news - she looked about 40 years younger than him.  But the news story said they had been married for 11 years, so I'm hoping she really loved him and was not just along for a ride on the gravy train. 

I think there should be a display in the Smithsonian honoring Rodney Dangerfield - they could have pictures of him at various points in his career, along with a recording of him saying "I don't get no respect."  My favorite Rodney joke, and probably my favorite one-liner will always be "When I was born I was so ugly the doctor slapped my mother."  It cracks me up every time. 

Rodney appeared on "The Tonight Show" 70 times.  That's impressive.  It must be a Tonight Show record.  He also appeared on "Saturday Night Live" 6 times.  One of my all time favorite SNL sketches was one that featured Rodney.  It was from an episode that aired in 1987.  "The Pepsi Syndrome" was a parody of the movie "The China Syndrome" and the Three Mile Island accident.  A nuclear engineer spills his cola on the control panel and causes a meltdown at the fictitious Two Mile Island nuclear plant.  There was a big sign in the background that said "no soft drinks allowed in the control room."  Too funny.  Later on in the sketch, after President Carter (wonderfully played by Dan Ackroyd) is exposed to the radiation and becomes 100 feet tall, Rodney Dangerfield is called in to deliver one-liners on how big the President is. 

We'll miss you, Rodney - maybe now you'll get the respect you deserve. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good one............he had my respect........Great comic

Anonymous said...

Let's see.....$10 million divided by 11 years.....that's how much?  Hmmm.......
I saw her too.