Friday, November 29, 2013

Black Friday Update, Part Four

I would be remiss if I didn't give you a report of my Black Friday shopping.  

Thursday 11/28
4:45 pm   Went to Dollar General Store to load up on Angel Soft toilet paper on sale for four bucks a twelve-pack.  There was one other shopper in the store during the few minutes I was there.  I bought five packs, a six-pack of Bounty paper towels, also on sale for four bucks, and a two-liter of Diet Pepsi for 85 cents.

5:03 pm  Arrived at Rite-Aid, only to be bummed that they closed three minutes earlier.  Oh well.  I'll just go tomorrow morning and buy my laundry detergent that's on sale buy-one-get-two-free. 

5:10 pm   Arrived at the WalMart on the Greenbelt.  Please note I was not going there to get in line or do any shopping; I went just to see how big the crowd would be.  I parked in the Sonic parking lot and observed for a few minutes.  When I left at 5:20, there were no parking spots available in the WalMart lot, and people were parking in the few spaces at Sonic and in the small strip mall next to WalMart.  I got out of there just in time. 

Friday 11/29
4:45 am  The alarm went off and I was up and dressed and out the door.

5:07 am  Pulled into a fairly-close parking spot at Home Depot, on a mission to buy something for my Sweet Mother for Christmas -- a wagon.  She's wanted a new wagon for a year or two, to use when she does her gardening.  I feel safe in mentioning the wagon here in this report, because #1, she doesn't read TWIT, and #2, friends that read it had best keep their mouths shut and not tell her.  

5:08 am As I went into the main entrance at Home Depot, I stopped for a second to check out the cool (no pun intended) area they had set up right by the entrance -- they had about a dozen big coffee dispensers filled with coffee and hot chocolate, and lots of boxes of Krispy Kreme donuts for the shoppers.  I didn't eat a donut nor get a cup of coffee, but that was very cool of Home Depot to do that for their customers. 

5:17 am  I was back in the van and headed back to the warmth and comfort of my bed at The Compound.   I was able to get the wagon (unassembled, of course) into the shopping cart and loaded into the back of the Odyessy with little effort.  On the way back home, I noticed traffic was still light, and I saw only one car in the drive-thru at White Castle. 

5:31 am   I put my sleep clothes back on, took out my contact lens and crawled back into bed for a few more hours sleep, very satisfied with my Black Friday shopping efforts.  There's not many people that I would get up at 4:45 in the morning on a day off for, but my Sweet Mother wants a wagon, and a wagon she shall have.

No comments: