Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Black Friday Countdown, Part Two

Before I post the second installment of the Black Friday Update, let me first give a disclaimer.  In no way, shape, or form, would I wait out in sub-freezing temperatures to buy a laptop and a desktop computer.  As much as I want to meet Ann and Nancy Wilson, I don't think I would camp out for over two days like my coworker is doing.  But to each his own.  



11/27/13

9:01 a.m.  It is almost 9am now and just waking up. The shopping area is very busy with cars right now, but I'm afraid to look outside. We are probably still the only people here.
Around 3am, the grounds crew for the shopping facility came through with leaf blowers and street sweepers. That was very startling.
Well, we better get up now that we are awake.

9:30 a.m.  It is 9:30am now, Wednesday morning. As I stepped out of the tent, I was greeted by snow. Soft, fluffy, powdery snow. What I wasn't greeted by were new people in line. We are still the only people in line. I'm sure more people will come, I'm just not sure when. Attached is picture of our tent (more space now) and a picture of the snow falling across the parking lot.
Best buy isn't open yet, but workers are already here. I think I will attempt to communicate with them again once the store officially opens today. Hopefully the day workers will be more receptive than the ones at night.

10:10 a.m.  I just witnessed something interesting. Over the past 30 minutes, best buy's parking lot filled. 5 or 6 people walked up to the barred front door and waited. Gradually more people made their way to the line. When the door was finally unlocked, literally 100 more people leaped from their cars and went to the doors. They came in all shapes and sizes. Old and young. Fit and out of shape. Fashionable and fashion challenged. However, the one thing they all had in common is that not one person or group of people got in line with us. HATERS!

10:15 a.m.  I just saw the first person that I'm aware of take a picture of our camp. The guy was wearing an Ohio State jacket. Thanks Ohio State man, whoever you are.

10:45am. We just had someone show us some black Friday love. A guy posed for a picture in front of our tent. It was funny watching him because we are actually sitting in our warm truck.

1:30 pm  It is 1:30pm now, 26.5 hours away from vouchers. The sun is out nice and bright now. My son and I went to DQ at 11:30 then sat in our truck from noon until 1:00. Since it warmed up to a balmy 28-degrees, we decided to walk around BB for a bit. As was the case before, the employees wouldn't give us any information on quantities that will be available. I thought about asking to speak to their boss or their boss’s boss, but then decided against it. Not that it really matters how many they have of each item because we are still the only people in line.
We are back in the tent now. The full sun is creating a very warm environment inside the tent. Either that or I’m suffering from hypothermia.  I think I'm going to read that book now I've been thinking about for a long time.

6:05 pm  It is 6:00pm Wednesday. 24 hours until the best buy opens, 22 hours until vouchers. I understand that it is cold, but that hasn't stopped people before. The best buy stores in Louisville have thriving tent communities, but for some reason we are the only people waiting at the Clarksville store. I must investigate why.

6:22 pm  I just finished talking with people inside the store. I told them my concerns that nobody is waiting at Clarksville but us, but the Louisville stores have thriving tent communities. I was assured Clarksville will have all the doorbuster items, just they couldn't tell me how many of each. They also said it was very odd that nobody else was camped out already. 
 
7:08 pm  Several BB workers just came outside to check on us to see if we were either dead, alive or still on their property. They assured us again that they have all of the top items available. Their concern is that once people at the other stores in Louisville find out there is nobody (save 1 tent) at Clarksville, they could get a swarm of people. Well, I don't see a swarm happening anytime soon.


  

 

No comments: