Friday, October 10, 2008

Flashback Friday

You might not know this, but my official job description title at work is Production and Inventory Coordinator. Sounds impressive, doesn't it? Basically it means that I tell the factory what to build and when to build it. The life of production scheduling isn't very glamorous, but I can say it's never boring. The one constant about my job is change - we are constantly changing our schedules. I write my schedules in pencil and I use the highest pound paper I can find because I have to erase so much. At times I sure wish I had a Magic Slate to use.

I'm sure you remember the Magic Slate, and most likely had one. The slate was actually hard cardboad with a black waxy surface. On top of the black wax was a clear or sometimes light gray sheet of plastic. You'd write on the slate with a little plastic stylus and when you wanted to erase, you'd just lift the plastic sheet and clear it all. I was pretty hard on Magic Slates as a kid. I would either bear down too hard when I wrote or drew on it and would end up leaving deep gouges in the black wax. And if that didn't happen, I'd usually tear the plastic sheet as I was lifting it to erase.

You don't see many Magic Slates in the stores today; electronics and the very popular white dry erase boards have replaced them. But I sure wish I had a gigantic Magic Slate at work to use for my schedules. It would make erasing a hell of a lot easier.

No comments: