Thursday, August 25, 2005

Let's Hear It For The Naked Ladies

Some of you have asked me about The Compound, and requested that I share more pictures of The Compound with you.  Not being one to disappoint my faithful readers, here is a picture taken last night of our beloved Belladonna lillies, aka Naked Ladies. I first heard my Grandmother and our neighbors refer to these lillies as Naked Ladies when I was a little kid, and I thought the name was just hilarious.  Now that I'm in my 40's, I still think the name is hilarious.  In fact, even today, my family and neighbors still call them Naked Ladies.

We were sweating it out this past few weeks, because our Naked Ladies always bloom at the end of July. The Naked Ladies were out in full force across the street but ours and Miss Rosemary's were just being stubborn, I guess.  I kept a vigilant watch over the ground, just waiting for the bulbs to start poking through.  But the weeks went by and we resigned ourselves to the fact that maybe the weather had some affect on them. But this past Sunday, they started to come up, and how they're finally here. Aren't they beautiful?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is impossible to purchase the Belladonna bulbs from online bulb suppliers even though we receive a plethora of weekly garden catalogs.  However, I have spied upon a lone patch of Naked Ladies everyday when I return from work.  From what I hear, the plants put forth a flourish of leaves, remain unobtrusive for a few weeks, and then deceptively drop their leaves with the intention of appearing dormant.  Suddenly, with the startling look of LaToya Jackson's latest facelift, a stalk appears overnight with drought-resistant pink blooms that remain unscathed for weeks.  I have spied this patch but haven't conjured up the nerve to take my spade to that part of that Pike.  If Puddin remembers, we used to have the courage and nerve to remove those decorative concrete pots that were obtrusive to those that walked the busy sidewalks of downtown.  I am saved though, because BB's parents have informed us that we are free to reap the precious bulbs of Naked Ladies that have resided in their undisturbed backyard for decades.  Such an unpretentious yet boldly deceptive flower as it is, I will someday have them in my garden.

Anonymous said...

The drunks stumbling out of Murphey's Place have you and me to thank for clearing out the concrete obstacles on Floyd Street.  

Just let me know when you want to go and I'll be glad to help you harvest the Naked Lady bulbs. Miss Minnie even has a pair of very cool gardening knee pads we could use.  

Anonymous said...

I was about to give up on my green thumb with the drought-like conditions that we have experienced.  I walked out to the backyard to see blood red leaves on the ground in my banana tree patch.  Since I walked upon a skunk in the backyard two nights ago, I assumed it had killed the frogs or doves and left a mess for me to clean up.  When looking at the plants, I was astounded to see a stalk of bananas hanging and dropping off the protective red baby leaves.  I am now convinced that the Naked Ladies have a place in the MP growing area.  Please educate the readers of TWIT and let us know if you transplant Naked Ladies from a bulb or a root mass.  There will be no need to retrieve the lone Ladies from the side of the Pike as I will go over and dig them up from BB's parents yard.  Just think of the injuries that have been avoided in moving those downtown concrete pots.