Thursday, August 4, 2005

The Great Squash Debacle

It's been a while since I've gotten riled up at work.  But it happened yesterday at what we named The Great Squash Debacle. It all started early this morning.  I was attempting to cram my can of Coke Zero into the filled-to-capacity refrigerator, and I noticed 3 big squash on one of the kitchen tables.  As mentioned previously in TWIT, any food left on the tables in the lunchroom is up for grabs.  A co-worker and I were going to go back later in the day and get a squash if nobody else had taken them; we both have gardens, and didn't want to seem like hogs.  But if they were still there, we felt there's no sense in letting home grown produce go to waste. 

I came back to the kitchen after our 9:00 break to get a cup of coffee, and imagine my shock at what I saw: someone had cut both a zucchini and yellow squash in half, and left the pieces there on the table.  WTF?  They were sliced perfectly - it's not like someone hacked into it, nor scooped any of it out.  After a brief investigation, it seems that someone was curious about what the inside of squash looked like, so they just cut them in two.  Their apparent justification was "The squash were big, and probably didn't have much flavor any way."

Personally, I could have not cared less about not getting one of these squash; it was the principle.  The two co-workers that brought in the squash grew them in their gardens, and brought them to work to share with their co-workers.  They didn't go to the trouble of planting and watering and cultivating their vegetables for someone's entertainment. I'm sorry, but you'd expect that from a pre-adolescent boy in the junior-high school cafeteria, not from an adult.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I take offense to that last sentence as a junior high school student.

Anonymous said...

No offense was intended, LabonteBoy.  But that doesn't apply to you - you're past pre-adolescent.  Welcome to world of hardcore adults.