Saturday, April 21, 2018

Day 3 of 10 Album Challenge

Day 3 of 10 Album Challenge -- Bebe le Strange by Heart

It’s only fitting that I have an album by my all-time favorite group Heart in the Top 10 Album Challenge.  It was released on Valentine’s Day in 1980, and I remember going to Phoenix Records that afternoon to buy it.  Bebe le Strange was the fifth album released by Heart, and although it was commercial success, it didn’t sell as well as their previous albums.  But it is still my favorite album by my favorite group, mainly because it has one of Heart’s most bad ass songs on it, “Rockin’ Heaven Down.”  When I started taking rock guitar lessons in the mid 80’s, this was the first song that I asked my teacher to teach me.  Thank you for that, Larry Ferguson.  “We’re a band of wild angels rockin’ heaven down.”

The most popular song from the album is “Even It Up”, which has the distinction of being the first video that Heart had made.  I remember the first time I saw the video while watching the awesome show “The Midnight Special.”  I remember Nancy wearing a sailor shirt, which sent me out the next day looking for one.  Yep, I found one.  Sorry, but there’s no pictures of me wearing it to prove it.  But Stacy Simpson Gordon can vouch for it.

A copy of Bebe le Strange, autographed by both Ann and Nancy Wilson, hangs proudly on a wall in the Music Room at The Compound.  In fact, it’s one of the first things you see when you walk into the room

No comments: