Friday, April 20, 2018

Day 2 of 10 Album Challenge: Trio by Linda Ronstadt, Emmylou Harris and Dolly Parton.
I'm on my third copy of this CD because I've played it so much. This album has the distinction of being my favorite solo road trip album. I play it when I'm travelling, and I get a little OCD about it; I play it through three times from start to finish - each time, singing along with one of the three different vocal parts. I've sang each song so many times, I'm pretty sure I could have filled in for one of the three if they were in concert. But I digress.
Individually, these three icons in music represent a good percentage of the albums in my collection. I have every album that Linda Ronstadt ever recorded, and also have most of Emmylou's and a lot of Dolly's. Their voices are so strong and recognizable, and they blend together better than just about any other trio I've heard. Years before they released Trio, I wished that they would collaborate and release an album together, because they often sang together on their solo albums. Dolly Parton and Linda Ronstadt recorded two songs that are some of the saddest songs ever recorded - "My Blue Tears" and "I Never Will Marry." But once again, I digress.
My two favorite songs on Trio are without a doubt "Those Memories of You" and "My Dear Companion (written by the awesome Kentucky native Jean Ritchie).
Trio won two Grammy Awards, and several Country Music Association and Academy of Country Music Awards. And it also won a spot in my top ten albums of all time.

No comments: