Friday, November 25, 2011

Flashback Friday

When I was younger, Thanksgiving morning was almost as special as the big meal later on in the day; it was when you got to watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.  You would get to see every float, marching band, gigantic balloon, horse-drawn wagons and carriages, and anything else that was in the parade.  The very last float in the parade would always be Santa Clause.  One year he might be waving to the crowds from inside a chimney, or he might be in his sleigh. 

Yesterday morning, I got up and sat down in the Lazy Boy with my cup of coffee, looking forward to the Macy's parade. Boy was I disappointed.  The majority of the TV coverage was big production numbers from a dozen or more Broadway musicals.  Now, I'm the first to say I love Broadway musicals, but not as the main part of televised parade coverage. 

What happened to the marching bands?  I loved to listen to the announcer tell where the band was from and how many kids were in the band, and how long it took them to raise the money to get there to the parade. Not any more. And  I especially loved all of the horses.  In addition to the horse-drawn carriages and wagons, there were always half a dozen or so mounted riders, all in fancy costumes. Not any more.

We did get to see some of the gigantic balloons, but not all of the ones in the parade.  The ones they showed were not being handled very well by their handlers, because they all looked like they were laying down.

It was very disappointing. But I should have known that not much in this old world is like it was when I was a kid.

No comments: