Monday, November 28, 2011

Anti-Cyber Monday

I spent the past two days looking online for a fairly cheap Android tablet. In my typical planning fashion, I visited countless websites and compiled all kinds of notes and lists about the many different models I researched.  Then this afternoon, I had an epiphany.  I was not going to spend a dime today on Cyber Monday, and instead I would be very content with the electronics and computer equipment that I had.  Needless to say the stuff I had works way better than most of the cheaper tablets I looked at today.  As Dorothy said in "The Wizard of Oz", "I won't look any further than my own backyard; because if it isn't there, I never really lost it to begin with."

Then just moments ago, I heard the news anchor say how many billions (yes, billions) of dollars were spent today on Cyber Monday, I'm even more glad that I came to my senses and didn't spend a dime online today. And it made me even more thankful that I'm not in debt right now.  

I did spend three bucks and some change at Radio Shack this evening, though, for an adapter I needed.  While I was waiting to get checked out, an older couple was ahead of me in line, and hand to heaven, the total on their bill was over $1100.  That was for electronics and computer crap for their three grandchildren for Christmas, which they were only happy to talk about with me and the store clerk.  I couldn't help but wonder if those three grandkids had grown to expect such expensive Christmas presents from their grandparents. Or if they even appreciated them.  Oh well.  That's their mess to sort out.

No comments: