Saturday, November 19, 2011

Assess THIS!!

I had to work today on the official kick-off of year-end inventory, and I was driving to work this morning, an interesting commercial came on the radio.  In fact, it was so interesting I pulled over into the parking lot of a convenience store to write down a few notes about it.  The commercial was advertising a service called "reputation assessment."  Yes, reputation assessment.  Apparently, you pay these people and they will search online "thoroughly" and "clean up" anything that would ruin your reputation.  There are other "reputation management" services that deal with marketing your products, etc, but this was about assessing your personal reputation.  I only caught the tail-end of the commercial, so I didn't get to hear all their services.  But my guess is they will search and if there are any incriminating pictures of you posted in Facebook or other sites, or any comments you posted along with your name, they will tell you about it so you can go in and get it all cleaned up before your boss or preacher finds it online. 

I don't know how much a reputation management service would charge, but I'm guessing it probably isn't cheap.  I'm far from being a saint, but I'm 99.9% sure that the reputation assesment people would be pretty bored looking my stuff up online. 

No comments: