Monday, May 9, 2011

Mother's Day Reflections

As I think back on Mother's Day, if you were to ask Mom right now how her Mother's Day has been, she would tell you that it was one of the best Mother's Days she's ever had. And it's not because of anything that I did as her child, although she loved her gardening kneeling stool/bench; it was because of something that a pair of 90+ year olds did for all three of us. Two of the sweetest people that we've had the pleasure of getting to know at church invited us to have Mother's Day dinner with them: our dear friends John and Betty Jean. Their daughter and her family wouldn't be over to visit them until later tonight, and they wanted to spend the morning and afternoon with us. They live in a high-rise apartment complex on our church property, and we all walked over to the complex together after church. It was our first time visiting this place, and I'm here to tell you that Dad and I are just about ready to pack up and move in. But I digress.


We felt honored because John and Betty Jean invited us to spend Mother’s Day with them, and even referred to us as part of their family. Well, it’s mutual because we think of them as family. As I said, they’re both in their early 90’s; Betty Jean used to teach at a college and John is a retired pastor and seminary professor. Age might have slowed them down physically, but they are still sharp and wise. As we sat in their apartment chatting, they told us stories and history of a lot of Baptist churches and pastors from the area. While I listened to them, I was thinking how I wished I could have heard Dr. John preach a sermon or have heard Betty Jean conduct a class lecture.

As I look back, this is what it's all about - being with people that you care about and who care about you. 

No comments: