Friday, May 27, 2011

Flashback Friday

It’s hard to believe that 30 years ago today, I graduated from high school. Well, on second thought, I guess it’s not all that hard to believe. But 30 years is a long time. I knew I’d graduated some time at the end of May, but honestly I didn’t remember the actual date until this morning at work.


A coworker in the factory came up to my office with a friend of his who needed a pump for his church. I took one look at the guy and didn’t even need to read the name on the ID badge he was wearing to know it was Sid, a guy who graduated from high school with me. He looked pretty much the same, and I would have just as easily recognized him if I’d met him on the street. But I digress. We gave each other a hug, and he said “I haven’t seen you in 30 years.” We both laughed and he said “It was exactly 30 years ago today when I last saw you – the day we graduated from high school.” Damned if he wasn’t right. Not that everybody can tell you the exact day they graduated from high school; May 27 also happened to be his birthday so he remembers it well. But 30 years ago today our little class of over 80 students donned our dark green caps and gowns and graduated from high school. 

As a P.S. to this story, I didn't go out on graduation night partying like a lot of my classmates did.  But I did partake in underage drinking.  Instead, I rode home from my graduation in an antique 1955 perfectly restored Cadillac, stopping at White Castle on the way home for carryout, and once home having White Castle hamburgers with my family as we all had a glass of champagne to celebrate.

No comments: