Monday, October 22, 2007

What Happened To The Seasons?

On the opening night of the Bats baseball season this past April, it was so cold that I wore my heavy winter coat over my regular clothes on top of wearing my thermal long johns.  Yes, it was that cold.  And now, we just finished up with temperatures in the mid-90's in the middle of October.  So it sure looks like the weather has forgotten all about the seasons, and if you ask me, sports has, too.  This weekend, you could have watched: MLB (major league baseball), college football, NFL, NHL, NBA, college basketball scrimmages, and college volleyball.  I'm sure I probably missed another sport or two, but these are ones I actually saw for myself while flipping the channels.  What happened to baseball being in the late spring and summer, football in fall, and basketball in the winter?

I heard an interesting fact on the news years ago, but it sure isn't true today.  I can't remember when it was but it was in the spring, and the newcaster giving the sports report didn't have very much today say because that day was I think the only day of the year that didn't have some type of well known college or professional sports going on.  That sure isn't the case today.  We've got horse racing in the spring, summer and fall, and we've got the NBA season that lasts for almost the entire year.  When did the sports seasons become less defined?  I'm guessing the answer is when bigger money got involved.  If it were up to the sponsors and advertisers, we'd have the NFL going on every Sunday instead of just a few months.  And I know if it were up to the college basketball fans, we'd have NCAA games all year long, too.  But just like we can't tell the seasons by the temperatures these days, we can't tell the sports seasons, either.  I just hope everybody keeps track of the days and months on their calendars or we'll be in trouble.

No comments: