Friday, October 12, 2007

Flashback Friday

 

                

Always wanting to accomodate my faithful readers, today's Flashback Friday is the result of a special request by my co-worker and faithful reader, JMc. 

Back in the day, the best TV show on Sunday was ABC's "Wide World of Sports."  They had everything on there - the Harlem Globetrotters was always a favorite of my Grandma and me, but they couldn't compare to the daredevil motorcycle jumps of Evel Knievel.  Honestly, that was the only reason I watched the "Wide World of Sports" - hoping that they'd show Evel doing one of his awesome stunts.  I remember vividly as an almost six year old on New Year's Day in 1968, watching Evel on live TV as he jumped over the fountains at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas.  He made the 151 foot jump, but  crashed when he landed, and his injuries put him in the hospital in a coma for 30 days.  It was during his recovery that he decided to jump the Grand Canyon, which he did in 1974 when he jumped over the Snake River Canyon in Idaho. In 1975, Evel successfully jumped over 14 Greyhound buses up at Kings Island.  For that stunt, Evel holds the ABC's Wide World of Sports TV viewing audience record for an unprecedented 52% household share.

In the early 70's, the Ideal Toy Company produced Evel Knievel toys, watches, radios, lunchboxes, pinball machines and other toys and accessories.  The items sold over $300 million, and Kneviel was credited with revitalizing the poorly performing toy industry of the 70's. 

Evel is listed in the Guiness Book of World Records as having broken 35 bones, and after watching the video of the Caesar's Palace jump on YouTube, I think the marjority of those 35 bone breaks happened at that crash.  In the winter of 1976, Evel was seriously injured once again during a nationally televised jump.  He attempted to jump over a atnk full of live sharks.  Evel suffered a brain concussion and two broken arms, and a cameraman was also seriously injured, losing an eye.  It was then that Evel decided to retire.

He's still America's greatest daredevil.  I sure wish I could still watch him on Sunday afternoons with my Grandma.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My husband tells me that back in the day, his brother had the very cool Evel Knievel lunchbox that is seen on the ebay commercial.

Evel was a true bad ass.  There's something about a man in a white jumpsuit.  Gets me everytime.