Monday, October 1, 2007

See You Later, Pancho and Pedro

                   

This was a bittersweet day at The Compound.  This morning, Pancho and Pedro left for their new home down in Breckenridge county.  This photo was taken about an hour and a half before they took their trip.  We miss them already, but it was time for them to go to a new home.  The older they got, the stronger and more stubborn they got, and they had become quite a hand full for the Old Man to deal with.  Actually, they were quite a hand full for me to deal with as well.  They were also becoming more aggressive to each other, and when that happens, it's not a pretty sight to be caught in the middle of those two with their eight little hooves.  The straw that broke the donkey's back was a month ago when the Great Escape took place and the donkeys got out.  So today, they left The Compound for their new home at Jones' Farm.  They'll have lots of new playmates - horses, other donkeys, and even a goat. 

Dad and I will be first to admit it was odd when we got home this evening from our day at the Glory of Rome - ordinarily, we would have heard donkeys braying as soon as we pulled into the driveway, but it was quiet.  And it will take some time for Dad to get used to not having to go outside at 3:45 every day to feed them.  But as the three of us, most of The Relatives and Mr. Jones attempted to get the donkeys into the trailer this morning, the sadness that we had experienced over the past two days quickly went away.  I know it did for me when I was up in the trailer with a death grip on the rope attached to Pancho's halter while he was kicking and rearing up.  Believe me when I say that as much as I loved those two little donkeys, this morning, I wanted to introduce them to the end of a Louisville Slugger.  But we finally managed to get them loaded up, and as I type this they're enjoying their new home. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No visit to the Compound was complete without a trip to see the boys.  I'll miss them too, but I'm glad they left on good terms and not after something happened, like someone getting knocked down or kicked.  At the 'rents age, a bad fall or head injury can really get them down, and they are way too busy and active for that!!