Sunday, October 10, 2021

Security Tip Sunday

I've noticed a very disturbing trend lately: people hanging their work ID badges on their rearview mirrors.  As a security consultant, and as a person who [I think] has common sense, I do not recommend this. I noticed 4 ID badges in plain sight when I walked from the parking lot into the grocery yesterday.  The badges give a lot more information to thieves than you think.  First of all, it has your picture.  Then your first and last name.  And where you work.  Thieves could look at the badge, see your name and know that you are not at home.  It only takes a few seconds to do an online search to get an address.  And it would only take a few minutes for the thieves to get to their house and break in - knowing full well they aren't at home.  Same thing for during the work day. 

I know keeping track of your work ID badge is just one more thing you have to keep track of, but keep it in your purse if you are a woman, or if you are a man, keep it with your wallet at home on your dresser.  Or put it in the glove compartment.  Just remember that you put it in the glove compartment. 

 

No comments: