Saturday, January 5, 2019

CSI: The Compound

An odd thing happened early this morning.  I was awaken from a good sleep at 6:00 after hearing a strange noise outside. It wasn't that cold, and I had my window cracked a little bit, so that's how I could hear it.  But I digress.  I closed my eyes and tried to get back to sleep when I heard it again.  I opened the window more and then heard it a third time.  It was a sound I'd never heard before coming from the direction of the Girls' pen.  I put on my glasses, grabbed my Glock, put on my head light and hurried out to the pen.  I didn't see anything odd - one of the Girls was walking around the pen, making one of their usual "bock bock bock" sounds, and the other five were still in the coop.  I looked around and saw some white feathers on the ground at one of the corners of the pen.  I checked over the Girl that was out in the pen and didn't see any scratches or blood or anything. All of the Girls were OK so I went back to bed. 

After breakfast, I got together the CSI team (The Old Man and my Sweet Mother) and we went out to the pen to check things out thoroughly.  After investigation, we saw quite a few white feathers around the outside of the coop.  Our first thought was Willie the Rooster was back.  But I don't think it was him.  He's only been gone a month and a half, and he never was aggressive when he was here.  Just in case, I walked to the back of the field, and even walked to the back fields of the houses to the left and right of us, and didn't see anything. 

As a precaution, tonight and for a while, I will go back to closing their little door on the coop and keep them inside the coop at night in case whatever left those white feathers decides to make a return visit. 

Stay tuned. 

No comments: