Friday, February 9, 2018

Flashback Friday

When I was in elementary school, I will admit I was jealous of the Brownies and Girls Scouts that were in my class.  This time of year, they always got to get out of school early for their troop to go to the Shriners' Circus.  I always wanted to get out of school early and go with them.  But I digress.  I wasn't a Brownie nor a Girls Scout; I was a 4H member.  And unfortunately we didn't get to get out of school early to attend anything; all of our events were on the weekend. 

But I was still able to get out of school early in elementary school, thanks to my dear neighbor/second Grandma Alice.  Once in the spring and once in the fall, I would get out of school early when she would pick me up and take me to the track with her.  Yep, good old Churchill Downs.  


On those days, I would wear my Sunday church clothes, so I would be dressed to the nines for our trip to the Clubhouse.  And I would have my little purse with my money I'd accumulated over the past months.  Of course I was a kid and couldn't actually go to the betting window myself, but I would study the racing form and give Alice my money to make my bet.

Those were some special times, and I think Alice for instilling in me my love of horse racing.  

No comments: