Saturday, November 7, 2015

An Awesome Saturday

The 'Rents and I headed out early this morning on an all-day road trip down through Breckenridge, Grayson, Hart, and Edmonson Counties.  We went to the Old Man's Cousin's homestead in Breckenridge County (where he owns about 1000 acres) and he took us down through Hart and Edmonson Counties to the cemetaries where our kinfolk are buried.  Today, I got to visit the gravesite of my great-great grandparents Tom and Dora.  Believe me when I tell you it was a moving experience. 

Overall, we were in seven Kentucky counties today.  And we had an awesome time.  We got to see a herd of deer crossing the road in front of us, a big flock of wild turkeys, numerous herds of goats, and one farm that had about two dozen donkeys of various sizes.  I don't need to tell you that I wanted to do a U-turn back to the donkey farm and hug each and every one of the donkeys. But I digress.

While at dad's cousin's farm, I got to crawl up into the cab of a mega thousand dollar Johne Deere tractor.  It has a/c, heat, a Boss stereo system, and GPS.  I'm pretty sure if I looked around more, I would have found a microwave or a fridge.  He told me I could come back later next year and he'd let me drive it to get the hay in.  I told him it had too many pedals for me to be able to maneuver. 

It was a great day to be able to visit the final resting places of my kinfolk, and a great day for my dad and his favorite cousin to be able to be together.  I can't wait till we can do this again. 


No comments: