Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Science Experiment Wednesday

A co-worker told me something very interesting this morning at work - he told me about an accidental science experiment that he conducted this morning.   He ate a carton of yogurt this morning a few minutes after he got up and brushed his teeth.  He said that the minty fresh toothpaste flavor still in his mouth, combined with the yogurt, made the yogurt taste like sour cream.  He said he was hungry so he continued to eat the yogurt, thinking it would eventually taste like yogurt instead of sour cream, but unfortunately for his taste buds it never did.  He shared this scientific information with me, knowing I would be intrigued and would want to share it with you, my faithful readers.  Of course he was right.

Not that I doubted my co-workers scientific findings, I felt I had to try this experiment myself to make sure I got the same scientific reaction.  So an hour ago, I brushed my teeth, waited five minutes, and then ate a carton of Blue Bunny blueberry yogurt.  Yep, you guessed it - the yogurt tasted like I had a mouth full of sour cream.  Minty sour cream, to be exact.  I thought it would gross me out, but it didn't.  I continued to eat the blueberry yogurt, thinking that it might suddenly change and taste like blueberry yogurt, but it never did. 

I'm not sure if the combination of toothpaste and yogurt produces some type of chemical reaction or what; I'll research it tomorrow and see if I can find any similar experiments on the internet. In the meanwhile, TWIT doesn't recommend eating yogurt right after you've brushed your teeth. 

No comments: