Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Tornado Tuesday

When I first heard that today's high would be in the lower 60's early this morning and drop to the 30's this afternoon after the front moved through, I knew we would be in for a pretty bumpy ride.  Only I didn't know how powerful the front would be.

At about 11:00 this morning, someone from HR came over the intercom and told all office personnel to come down to the inner hallways on the first floor.  That's when my department went into action.  I immediately got out my portable digital TV and turned it on so we could see what the Weatherazzi was saying.  One of the guys in my department got out our two flashlights just in case.  Then the tornado sirens started going off.  There was no mention of funnel clouds in our immediate are but there were sightings around us. And the winds were very bad. At one point there were six people huddled around my TV in my office.  And if I do say so, my office is one of the safest places in the building.  Just saying.  The storm moved eastward at a rapid pace, and at 11:30 everyone was back in their offices and cubicles.

When all was said and done, there was an official tornado touchdown in the eastern part of Jefferson County, but thank the Lord there were no injuries or deaths.  We can always put a roof back on a building or put back some shingles.

No comments: