Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Nothing Says "Merry Christmas" Like A Gun

I read a very interesting article today. It seems that Christmas 2011 saw record gun sales. According to the FBI, background checks on gun buyers hit a record single-month high -- more than 1.5 million -- in December. On the day before Christmas Eve alone, 102,222 such checks were ordered, making December 23, 2011 the second busiest day in gun buying history, after this year's Black Friday. I like to think I was a tiny little part of the history-making month; although I didn't purchase a gun in December, a background check was performed on me last month when I renewed my concealed carry license.



I know guns really don't go with Christmastime and peacefulness and good will toward men. But it looks like a million and a half people thought they did. I never received a gun as a Christmas present before, but one year in my early 30's, I did get a gun for Valentine's Day. The old High School Boyfriend and I were seeing each other again during that time period, and for Valentine's Day he got me a Ruger semi-automatic pistol. He had one and I had been admiring it whenever we would go to the shooting range, so he got me one for Valentine's Day. I thought it was a very sweet gesture.



No comments: