Saturday, October 29, 2011

Persistence Pays Off

For the past two months, the 'Rents and I have been looking at a 3 foot tall plastic jack-o-lantern at our 'hood Krogers.  It was only $39.99.  Dad had been talking about this pumpkin for weeks,  and how we could put one of our battery-powered lanterns inside to light it up. As always, if either one of the 'Rents really wants something bad, you know I will move heaven and earth to get it for them. I'm far from being a tightwad but $40 for a plastic pumpkin that you can put out a few days a year was a bit steep even by my standards. We visited the store weekly, in hopes that they would have a sale and give us at least 20% off. But no dice. That is, until today. This afternoon, I stopped by Krogers and found the pumpkin (it was the only one, mind you).  Of course, it had no price tag on it so when I was trying to check out at the self-check-out station, it summoned a store manager.  He looked at it and then looked at me.  I simply told him "My Dad wants this to take to church tomorrow night for Trunk-or-Treat" and he didn't hesitate and said "Would you pay $20 for it?"  I didn't even blink and told him that I sure would.  Never mind that it was a couple of days before Halloween and the over-priced pumpkin was still on the shelf.




As I type this, Dad in the family room with the big pumpkin, making sure all will be perfect for tomorrow night's Trunk-or-Treat.  I'll be sure to take some pictures. 

No comments: