Saturday, February 13, 2010

Let The Shopping Begin?

I just purchased a new late birthday present for myself - a Browning handgun. I've researched extensively, and talked with people that have Brownings and they all said it was a very high quality firearm and was made by a great, reputable company. I purchased it from a dealer online, and had it transfered to a pawn shop here in Louisville who would fill out the paperwork and handle the transfer. The pawn shop called me yesterday morning to let me know that it had arrived and said I could come pick it up anytime. Before hanging up the woman from the pawn shop said "Let me warn you - we're going to be extremely busy on Friday and Saturday with Valentine's Day." Believe me when I tell you I had to keep a strong grip on the phone to keep from dropping it because that made me laugh very hard.

Some of you might not understand my sense of humor or why I find certain things fascinating, but her statement both made me laugh and fascinated me. It's not my intention to diss pawn shops nor people who buy presents there or have received presents from a pawn shop; I've bought new items there for presents and I've received a few presents that were purchased from the pawn shop. But when she told me that, it just struck me as funny; I guess because she said ti so as-a-matter-of-factly. Her statement could mean only two things: #1 It was going to be very busy with people buying Valentine presents from the pawn shop, or #2 It was going to be very busy with people pawning things for cash so they can buy presents for Valentines.


I went the pawn shop this morning and there were maybe 8 or 9 clerks there, and I'd say about 2/3 of them were waiting on customers, so it was fairly busy. The woman that took care of the transfer was the same woman that called me yesterday, so I just had to ask her about my two assumptions. She said that they've seen it about 50/50 - half of the people buying things for Valentines Day and the other half pawning things to get cash.

No comments: